nedjelja, 17. ožujka 2013.

UniqBeatz


Leonardo Marić, born in Osijek, now living in Canada, is our next guest. His skills in beat-making and producing could not pass unnoticed, so we've decided to contact him and ask a few questions. If you'd like to contact him concerning some beats, let us know via our Facebook page.  Let's see what he told us:




When did you start producing hip-hop music?

My first contact with producing was in elementary school, in the program HipHop Ejay 2, if that can even be considered producing (laughs). That was a long time ago, but I took it up seriously some four years ago. In the beginning, it was quite difficult; in comparison with others, it took me a long time to learn the basics of how the program works, and to figure it out, but I'm getting better at it, although I realize that there's much left to learn (FL Studio).

How and why did you choose exactly that aspect of hip hop?

All my life I've been listening to various music genres, and till this day I like all kinds of music, but this genre is somehow the one easiest on my auditory organs (laughs). I also try to look at it from the financial point of view - it's easier to make profit in this genre than, for example, by doing rock or jazz. Today, it is possible to find all kinds of things on the internet for free, and there's no need for extra equipment, so there are no extra expenses.  

Who did you work with till now? Anyone famous?

I've worked with a lot of less famous artists: Loš Utjecaj, Gentlmens League, Wostec and others, but also with some better known ones, such as Buba Corelli, Jala, Deniro, Reksona, Magic Sone, and I expect to be working with some big-name performers in the future.

You've recently moved to Canada. Could you share with us your experience with the hip-hop scene there and in the States?

Yes, I've moved, and frankly, I don't really like the hip-hop scene here in the city I live in (Regina), it all still sounds quite amateur. Much of the scene I'm into is happening in the States, and this is what I follow. Since I've been here, I've worked with M.I.C., an emerging group from Chicago. Also, in the process, I got some contacts for big names in this scene.



Is there any money in all this?

In the beginning, there's no way that you'll make any money, but as time passes, you get better at it, and your work becomes increasingly good, you attract big names, artists who don't want material from the internet, but they rather buy new material. If they plan to do any serious work in the music business, they have to invest in themselves. 

How much time do you need to make a beat?

Well, sometimes I need an hour, sometimes two or three, depending on how creative I feel in that moment, but after that, I have to do the mixing and mastering, and, if I want to make it sound good, I need to take some more time to do that part. All in all, one beat can take up 3 to 4 hours.

Which hip-hop style do you prefer, when it comes to creating beats?

I like a lot of them: from old-school to new, electro, house etc., but I prefer the so-called trap, a quite modern style that is not too well accepted in the Balkans, as it contains a lot of electronic sounds, and it's pretty commercial, while in the States that particular style is well accepted and is a growing market. 

Why exacty "Uniq"?

I've been thinking about the name quite a lot, and I've changed it several times - I wanted a name that is not heard too often, something unique - and so it came.

Which equipment do you use?

(Laughs). Equipment... my equipment is quite modest for now, a laptop (and it's my father's, I don't have my own yet), a keyboard and a mouse. I worked on a synthesizer too, and I can say that it makes things easier.

And finally, wishes and regards...

I hope that I'll succeed in what I'm doing, because this is what I'd like to do in the future too, and, of course, my wish is to achieve something with my work. I greet all the people who support me, follow my work and work with me.
In case you want to contact me concerning my beats, contact the administrator of the blog, and they can refer you to me. Cheers!

By: Marija Viljušić







Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar